Monday, February 7, 2011

Chapter 12/ Back to Work

CHAPTER TWELVE
Back to Work
Stacy is a little depressed these days.  Not because she is not happy with Kahana; but because she is running low on funds and is a little scared about that.  When she stopped working (was fired), Stacy received a severance package and dividends on her stock.  That money is substantially less than she was used to making and she has been forced to dip into savings each month to make up the difference.  Stacy was the bread winner when she was married.  When she got divorced, Stacy paid in the settlement.
Stacy has been out of work for over nine months.  Money is a little tighter for her.  The dinners are less expensive. Certain repairs on the Porsche have to wait.
About a month ago it had reached a crisis level for Stacy, and we were told about it each morning for a week. “ I am down to less than $50,000 in my savings”.  She said.  “I have to start making some real money”. Stacy is not a sit at home person. She needs to be very active. She did some personal training.  She also taught some people how to paddle surf to make some extra cash. Pictures of her training and teaching appeared on Facebook on a regular basis. But that was pocket change and simply gas money.
Kahana works full time. Stacy felt she needed to get back to work as well.  She interviewed at several marketing firms. She spoke to the clients of the marketing firms she worked at previously. Stacy is not too shy to pick up the phone and cold call a client.  But in this tight job market and poor economy, even the cold calls were not working.
Stacy is a networker. She makes sure she talks to everyone and finds out what they are doing for a living.  Stacy self-promotes herself well.  Whatever a person’s business might be, Stacy tries to make the person feel as though she could be an asset.
Once she really started to put her mind to work, it was not long before she landed a marketing gig in Delray Beach.  About a ten minute drive from Starbucks.  She met with one of the owners and they hit it off right away.  “It was great; we were on the same page”. Stacy told us.  “He knew of my work at my prior company, and he wants me to help run the marketing end of the business”.     She was excited.  This had her pumped sky high.  She would start next week.
Next week came around, and Stacy didn’t start yet. She was at Starbucks, till dressed in workout clothes.  “What happened to the job”? I asked.  “I thought you were starting today”?
“The guy I met with, John, hadn’t cleared it with his partners yet”.  Stacy responded in a readily apparent downer mood.  Stacy barely made eye contact as she worked on the Sun-Sentinel daily crossword puzzle.  “Don’t worry, something with come through for you.” Jackie tried to console Stacy.
A few days later, “they called me in”. Stacy announced. Her mood was back. She was pumped again. “I am going to start officially tomorrow”.   She said. 
The next morning, Stacy was dressed in a skirt and blouse; very professional looking.  She got to Starbucks early. Was already there for 30 minutes before I got there, and told me that she “could not sleep at all last night”.  She was anxious to start at the new company.  Her head was spinning all night.
Stacy went into the office and seemed to start work at the new company. For several days she would comment to us about how much she looked forward to going into the office. “I think this could be a great situation for me.  They need my help”.   However, before the week was out, Stacy had a concern; “They haven’t really agreed upon what my title is going to be”.

The following week, Stacy came to Starbucks in the morning with her workout clothes back on.  “What happened?  No work today?”  I asked.   “I have to find a new job”. Stacy responded in a too familiar sullen tone.  “The three partners to the company could not agree on my role.  One, who I can’t stand, said I was brought on prematurely”.
Within a day or so, Stacy returned to the job postings, the computer listings; and her networking.  She once again stopped familiar people entering Starbucks in the morning.  Everyone would know she was a free agent again.  She was back on a mission to find a job.
It was a Saturday morning; the crew at Starbucks that morning consisted of Stacy and Kahana, Jackie, Dorrie and Solomon with their two little boys, Daniel and me.  After we all had our coffees or tea in hand we gathered around two large tables that were placed next to each other. The one of the boys ran around the table with a milk container in hand, the other sat in his stroller with a snack.
The adult conversation was focused about the little boys and potty training.  Stacy was playing with one of the boys as we conversed. Jackie and Dorrie had their own private conversation going.  That was when Harland appeared with Sara.
Although the conversation began with how things were going with Whitney and their daughter Sara, it soon focused on business.  Stacy has always been able to turn the conversation to about her.  Today was no exception.   “So you probably heard I am looking for a new position”. She told Harland.   “Really”? , he asked.   “Yes, things just did not work out in my last position”.  She explained.  “They weren’t ready for me”.
Harland invited Stacy to stop by his offices on Monday to see if there was something that she can do with him. Harland was also in a marketing firm, and they were in the process of growing. Harland expanded over the last year from a home based business to having an office with a staff.
Later in the following week, we learned that Stacy was hired by Harland.  She won’t be running the office. She will be doing sales.  “ I am very excited.  I think this is going to work out great”.  Stacy told us. “Harland knows what I can do.  I don’t think I have to prove myself.”.
For the next few weeks, Stacy came to Starbucks pumped.  She came early.  She left a few minutes before 9 am to get into the office on time.  “I really like it there”. She would say.  You can hear the enthusiasm in her voice.
Within a month, Stacy began having issues with one of Harland’s partners. “The guy just does not understand the sales cycle”.  She said.  “He does not appreciate the time I am spending developing my customers.”    The partner was  either expecting immediate results or was not 100% behind Stacy’s hire.
A week later, “he is treating me like I am kid off the street”.   She said.  “I need to speak with Harland about this”.  
Apparently the other partner also has his own motivational techniques.  According to Stacy, this guy likes to belittle the sales team into doing better.  She said he talks down to the sales personnel, and raises his voice for no reason.  I listen and think to myself, that the guy must have worked in the car business.
When I worked for an automobile dealership, I found high school dropouts that had worked their way to management acting the same way to the sales team. They would similarly try to belittle the sales people, to motivate them.  An uneducated person on a power trip is a site to behold.
Stacy was not happy again, and she started coming to Starbucks a little later.   She also stayed later. She would look at the time and say “I am going to tell them I had a meeting with a potential client”.  
Before long, “I need to decide what to do with myself, I don’t think I can take it there.  But I feel bad about leaving Harland”.
We all gave Stacy a pep talk. Although strong minded, Stacy needed to have her confidence stroked. We told her to talk to Harland and straighten things out.  Stacy did that. Now she goes in each day, does her thing. She has starting to generate some sales, and lets the problem partner’s comments go in one ear and out the other.


1 comment:

  1. Before long, “I need to decide what to do with myself, I don’t think I can take it there. But I feel bad about leaving Harland”.

    ReplyDelete